Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lunch Box Chronicles: Day Twenty-Two (Turkey Pot Pie!)




I am so lucky to have my mom. Today, I had more on my figurative plate than I could handle. So, what to do? Call mom! 84 and 1/2 and still there when I need her. We had a very large frozen Kosher turkey thawing in the extra fridge for days, but it just wouldn't thaw! We needed dinner and I had no time. Her directions to me: "soak that damn bird in a salt water bath in a clean sink, leave me directions on how to use your new stove, leave out the roasting pan." Result: came home after a frustrating day (did I mention my disdain for flood maps and banks?) to a house filled with the aromas of Thanksgiving! Roasted turkey, potatoes, carrots, the fixins' I'm blessed. Thanksgiving in May! After dinner, we rushed off to Olivia's concert to hear the K-2 kids singing and jazzing.

And after all that, I had a perfect idea for a Lunch Box delight - Turkey Pot Pie - Spelt Right style.

Ingredients: One Spelt Right Pizza Dough (fully thawed). Left over turkey, carrots, potatoes, peas, Vita Spelt flour, butter, gravy from left over turkey. Make a rue on the stove top with 2 TBL butter and 2-3TBL Vita Spelt flour, set aside. Chop 2-3 carrots and potatoes in small chunks, boil soft, add some turkey on the bone for flavor, salt and pepper to taste, remove bones, but keep in turkey, cut into chunks. Add rue and any left over gravy you might have (if your mom cooked a turkey for you), let broth become thick, add peas. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 400-450F.

Cut dough into 6 even sized balls, stretch or roll to about 1/4 inch thick. I used a pizza peel this time covered with finely ground organic corn meal. Shape fitayas on pizza peel. Place two-three TBL of turkey mixture on dough ball. Make triangle shape (or any shape you can to close) Then gently slide on to hot pizza stone. I brushed these with butter when they were in the oven, but that is optional.

Bake until golden brown.

I was SO STUFFED from the turkey dinner that my mom made that I could not eat another bite. Solution? Ask Tim. His response, "if you want me to keep doing this, don't complain about my girth." Next solution? Ask the kids. Their ability to eat never ceases to amaze me. Response from the kids: "Yum, two thumbs up we want more." Answer from mom, "Enough for tonight, turkey pot pie fitayas for breakfast tomorrow!"

Good night.

1 comment:

  1. Turkey pot pie fitayas were perfect for breakfast. Just heat in the toaster oven or microwave (I prefer the toaster oven). Olivia was off to school with a full belly with not much effort on my part this a.m.

    ReplyDelete