Friday, May 7, 2010

Lunch Box Chronicles: Day Twenty-Five Salbutes - Yucatecan Tostadas, Yum!!)




http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1547084 We are linking you to a recipe that we found on-line for SALBUTES, which are amazing turkey, pickled onion tostadas, prepared in the Yucatan region of Mexico. We tried the linked recipe and it is perfect! This recipe brought us back to Mexico 23 years ago on our honeymoon. We had the good fortune of being able to stay at the various homes of a good friend from the Yucatan. In one village, we woke up every morning to have salbutes. The taste was unforgettable.

After driving back from Wellesley, MA where I did a little Spelt Right demo (it was kind of quiet, but good nonetheless), I was thinking of dinner possibilities for the family (along with listening to the grim news of the week: oil spills, crashing markets, raging wars, bomb threats - jees, no wonder I am cloistering myself in food).

That lovely turkey that my mom made a few days ago was the perfect starting point. We recommend that you follow the attached recipe to a tee, though we used turkey broth instead of chicken broth. The blend of flavors in this recipe is amazing.

Also, we did two varieties. One the traditional way with corn tortillas. The other with Spelt Right Pizza Dough, cut into 6 balls, stretched VERY THIN, and placed on lightly oiled, really hot frying pan. The dough will bubble slightly. Fry each side. Place all toppings on.

I love corn tortillas so I wasn't sure if I would like the Spelt Right dough in this context. Much to my surprise, I liked the two variations equally. The dough came out chewy and light and was wonderful. We were all thrilled with this meal. Two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment