With every call and email, I put on my armor and a smiley voice. The method is working. We are sending out samples and getting meetings. Just got to keep up the energy. So got to keep in the protein. And, how am I to do this on our new found diet - plant based diet?
Enter the 15 year old. "Spencer, can you figure out what to make for dinner without meat please?" Answer, "Umm, not really." Shoot, I thought his intellect would have pulled me through on this one. Thank goodness his cooperative nature is still intact so he agreed to help. He just needed some direction.
I could pull it off without the meat. But eliminating the egg, dairy and cheese was out of the question tonight. Solution: potato, spinach, egg and cheese layered casserole. Again, I had a "culinary vision". This could work. It would fill us up, and could be done in less than an hour.
I directed the kid with the basics. He pulled off the rest on his own. The dinner was stellar, but failed the "Forks Over Knives" test. It did, however, pass "The Mom Is Really Exhausted and Thankful" test.
- 4-5 medium sized potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thin, cut with the precision of a mathematician.
- a bunch of fresh spinach, rinsed, spun, and de-stemmed
- 3-4 eggs
- some milk (let's guess at 1 cup)
- 1and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- salt, pepper and garlic to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for frying the potatoes
- Put 1/8 cup of EVOO in frying pan. Pan fry the potatoes until soft on the inside and a little crispy on the out (we did this in two pans to get the process moving)
- Place layer of potatoes on 9-12 inch baking dish. Layer with spinach. Layer with potatoes. Layer with spinach.
- Blend eggs, milk, 1 cup of grated cheese, salt, pepper, (and chopped garlic if desired)
- Pour over layered potatoes and spinach.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in comes out dry and cheese is all bubbly and tempting on the top.
Enjoy, sit back, relax, and think not of anything but of eating good things.