Thursday, April 1, 2010

Perseverating on the distinction between expensive and not cheap

So, I am perseverating....Not a good trait, but one that I have. A recent article was written about Spelt Right and it was quite nice, but the last quote (which I'm sure I said, but meant in a different light) really bothers me. The article in the Portland Press Herald quotes me saying that "food should be expensive." Uggh, that makes me sound so exclusive and out of touch. I promise that is not what I meant and so I have been perseverating, worrying that the wrong message got out about what I was trying to say. So here I am using this note pad as my soap box (and also a bit as my therapy).

What I meant to say is that food should not be cheap. There is a distinction with the statement that food should be expensive. We need to nourish our bodies to live well and so often we take the cheapest route on our bodies, yet will spend mounds on things that don't impact us as acutely.

We are inundated with easy cheap options with all sorts of processed foods and we are getting sick, both physically and emotionally. Eating white bleached flour is just not good for us, nor is white bleached sugar, or high fructose corn syrup, or foods saturated with hydrogenated fats and other unthinkables. But, the reality is that all of these foods come to us in a very cheap form. They are designed to withstand heavy machinery, long distribution routes and lengthy stays on supermarket shelves. They often are made with government subsidized raw materials (wheat, corn, and soy) and their natural unsubsidized counterparts (i.e., spelt, olive oil, quinoa) cannot compete in the pricing. The margins on the cheap products are very high relative to the products that are made with quality ingredients.

So, my plea to you is simple, please before you make a statement that a product is too expensive to buy, read the ingredients, read the nutrients, and ask your body, are you worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment