Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lunch Box Chronicles: Day Six (Ghiradelli Chocolate Baked in Spelt Right Dough)


Here's a short and easy recipe. One package of Spelt Right dough and Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate chips. As always, let the dough rise to double its size. Make 10-12 small rounds, flatten to about a 1/4 inch thick. Place 8-12 Ghiradelli chocolate chips in the center. Make a triangle. Bake at 450 for 8-12 minutes. Yumm. Definitely not for lunch, but perfect for dessert.

This is a quick recipe, because tonight was movie and story telling night, with little time to be food creative (though I did make some homemade caramel). The movie was a fantasy involving a legendary character Barron Von Munchausen and his encounters with a sultan. The movie triggered a memory of a story that had been told to me by my father (who would be 89 if he were still alive). My kids were mesmerized. This family story is about my father's grandfather or great grandfather (my kids' great great or great great great grandfather) who was enslaved by a Sultan in either Syria or Lebanon. His destiny was grim, BUT, he managed to win his freedom by convincing the Sultan that he could fight a bear with his hands and survive. Being victorious over the bear, my great great won his freedom, which (as I told my kids), eventually led to the birth of my great grandfather, grandfather, father, me, and the kids! We thank the bear for the sacrifice!

In honor of the bear, my great great grandfather, and generational story telling, we pass on recipes from our family to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment