Friday, July 29, 2011

Lunch Box Chronicles: Day One-Hundred Thirty-Two (Word of the Day: Anodyne)





Anodyne - one of the words introduced at a CLE - continuing legal education course I took this week.  (I still bounce between the dual worlds of lawyer and entrepreneur). 

Anodyne - n. a drug that relieves pain; analgesic; anything that alleviates mental distress; adj. capable of relieving pain or distress. 


Yes, I could use an anodyne.  

Being an entrepreneur is STRESSFUL.  My brain feels it; my neck feels it; my soul feels it.  But thankfully, there are some human anodynes in my life who make this peregrination (oooohhh, I love big words) more palatable.  

My anodynes are folks who say, "I might not get it, but I'm here for you" or "Yes, I get it.   I've been there.  It IS hard, but you can do it.  If it were easy, every one would do it."   But, they go one step further; they not only offer words of encouragement and inspiration, they act.  Not only do they say, "How can I help," they roll up their sleeves and get in the thick of it.  They brainstorm on ideas; they find suppliers; they find bakers; they find funders. They say, it is ok, because I believe in you.  

They are what differentiates well wishers from anchors.  They are the people I love.  And I hope that someday I can offer my personal anodynes ranging in age from 9 to 85, a little relief of their own.  I hope one day I can offer them the fruits of my labor - for the lack of a better word - a lasting legacy.

So, at the risk of being a little self serving, I offer this Spelt Right pizza recipe as an anodyne to the stresses of just being.   Whatta Pizza!   

Ingredients, one Spelt Right Pizza Dough, fully thawed and risen.  Sauce of your choice.  Shredded mozzarella and provolone, black olives, mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and garlic, onions, fresh tomatoes, and whatever else serves to ease your pain.   Work dough gently into a lightly oiled baking pan.  Assemble as you would any pizza.  Bake at 450 for 12-20 minutes..check the crust!    Let cool slightly.  Indulge.  Feel no pain. 


2 comments:

  1. PS: I have heard from many customers with arthritis that getting wheat out of their diets (and replacing it with spelt) helped relieved inflammation - yes so we might have a real anodyne with spelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anodyne: love, food, passion. Spelt. No drugs necessary.

    ReplyDelete