Friday, February 11, 2011

Lunch Box Chronicles: Day One Hundred And Fourteen (The Healing Power of Food)

This mass of hand made food was my response to feeling helpless.   A good friend of mine recently was injured pretty badly.  I wanted to have the power to heal her.  To make the boo boo go away.  To stop the pain.  To start all over again.   But, I don't have that power.  All I have are my words of sympathy and support.  And, my ability to cook and cook and cook.   So, that's what I did.   I cooked, and baked.  I made fillings, all sorts, from vegan to ground beef from to sweet to savory, and I rolled and stuffed them in my favorite Spelt Right dough.

My sense of needing to do something rubbed off a bit on Spencer, who made the lovely round shaped rolls, which are a variation of garlic bread.  He combined crush fresh garlic, Kosher salt, and extra virgin olive oil, and rolled them in the dough.  They were delicious.

My mother looked at the feast and asked if we were having a throng of guests.  "No," I said, "Just making some food for the family and a friend or two."

I brought over the fixins' the next day to my friend and her family.   While the food did not heal the breaks or bruises, I hope they were filled with just the right amount of love to make the pain go away, at least for the moment of the first taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment